How Long Does a Roof Last?
You’ve found Tennessee’s top rated roofing contractor! We don’t leave the job until you’re 100% satisfied!
How to Know it’s Time for a Roof Replacement
Your roof is there to protect you and your property from the elements and keep things out. As time goes by, though, the materials and integrity of your roof can be compromised. There are several factors that can limit or reduce the lifespan of your roof.
The type of materials you choose is one major factor that can change the durability and longevity of your roof. Whether you’re a home or business owner, you want to get the most protection out of your roof. To get the best recommendations and roof replacement in Graysville, TN, you can trust VLR Homes, LLC when you call us today!
Factors that Affect Your Roof’s Lifespan
There are a lot of things that can damage your roof over time and lead to a replacement. You could also decide to upgrade your roofing materials. Many factors can influence or cause the need for a new roof installation. Our experts have encountered many reasons that change roof lifespans, with some of the most common being:
- Roofing materials. The durability and resistance varies from one material to the next. How much your roof replacement costs and the lifespan of your materials is correlated.
- Underlayment. This layer supports your materials and absorbs any moisture that gets through. Because it protects your decking and prevents bacterial mold and water damages, it’s important to make sure you have effective underlayment.
- Color. The color of your roofing makes a difference. Darker materials retain heat while light materials can reflect UV rays for energy efficiency. Overheating can damage materials and reduce ventilation.
- Ventilation. Air flow can keep your roof from overheating and reduces the risk of freezing. Since these extreme temperatures can cause the materials above to crack, it’s important to have proper ventilation.
- Regular maintenance. Professional maintenance on a routine basis can significantly improve the lifespan of your roof. That’s because our experts will inspect your roof and identify any signs of damage to diagnose repairs.
- Climate. Different weather conditions can have a serious effect on the lifespan of your roof. Strong winds, rain, and hail are reduce how long your roof lasts. Temperatures going from freezing to hot can crack materials or cause them to fall off.
- Pitch of your roof. The slope, or pitch, can make drainage a problem. Flat or low-sloped roofs can need more roof repairs over time to prevent leaks, mold, or water issues. To make sure you get effective maintenance and roofing services, hire VLR Homes, LLC.
- Material quality. There are low- and high-end products to protect your home or business. Lower quality materials can cost less, but they might leave your roof susceptible to more damages and future roof repair. They also tend to have a lower lifespan, so it can pay to choose high quality materials.
- Choosing the best contractor. Professional installation of your new roof can lay the groundwork for a longer lifespan. Read reviews and check for qualifications of your contractor. They should also be insured and have coverage for liability.
If you need roofing services or maintenance, you can count on our experts at VLR Homes, LLC. Let us know how we can help when you give us a call today!
Your Roof’s Lifespan Affects the Warranty
In several instances, the lifespan of your roof can outlast the warranty with regular maintenance and roof repairs. There’s no telling when a storm could tear up your roofing or a tree could fall, though. A warranty can be the difference between being covered and footing the entire bill for your roof replacement in Bakewell, TN.
If your roof warranty has expired by the time you need it, it’s no use. A lot of higher quality materials come with a better warranty, so that can factor into your material decision. It’s also one reason it’s worth it to pay for better materials.
There are a lot of factors that can affect the lifespan of your roof. With more quality, durability, and the right type, you might not have to worry about a warranty. The average lifespan of a roof is between 25 and 50 years, with high quality materials lasting longer.
Of course, you pay for what you get when it comes to roofing. If it’s time for a new roof, it’s important to get the right recommendations and top services. We offer all of the above at VLR Homes, LLC, so call us today for your residential and commercial roofing needs!
Lifespans of Different Roofing Materials
There are many types of roofing materials that can be more durable or resistant. We’re an experienced roofing contractor in Bakewell, TN, so we know the best materials to recommend for your needs. The most popular options for residential roofing are:
- Asphalt shingles. There are 2 main types of asphalt shingles: 3-tab and architectural. The former offers a shorter lifespan of 15 to 20 years, but a lower cost. If you want asphalt shingles, though, architectural are thicker and provide an increased lifespan up to 50 years. You can also choose from different colors for your desired aesthetic.
- Slate tiles. One of the more expensive choices, slate is durable and can last upwards of 100 years. Slate is resistant to heat, hail, moisture, and snow for many different climates. However, it’s much heavier than some materials, so it’s not for every roof.
- Concrete or clay tiles. Another heavy materials, clay or concrete offer improved durability and they’re built to last. Both can give you 50 years or more of protection and have resistance to extreme temperatures. Concrete naturally reflects sunlight to reduce wear on your air conditioner, but we’ll check to make sure your roof can sustain the weight.
- Metal. The thickness of your metal roofing can affect the lifespan, with thin metal typically being good for 20 to 25 years while thicker metal can last 50 years or longer. Thicker metal can cost more to install, but you’ll get more longevity.
- Wood shingles. If you want a rustic look for your roof, consider these shingles made of spruce, cedar, or pine. While they can last up to 30 years with proper maintenance, wood shingles are susceptible to termites, mold, fire, and weather conditions.
- Composite shingles. These can look like slate or wood tiles and they’re made of plastic, polymer, or rubber. They’re not as durable as slate, but they don’t have the cost. If you want the wood aesthetic, though, composite shingles usually last longer and have more protection from extreme heat, fire, and hail. You’ll have a lot of looks to choose from, and composite shingles can have a lifespan of more than 50 years.
If you need a roof replacement in Red Bank, TN or the surrounding area, get started with an inspection when you call our trained experts today!
Flat Roofing and Commercial Material Lifespans
As with residential protection, you’ll have options for your commercial roofing when it’s time for a replacement. The 4 most common materials for business properties and flat roofs are:
- EPDM. Cost-effective and time-tested, EPDM is a synthetic rubber with a typical lifespan of 25 to 30 years with regular maintenance.
- Thermoplastic polyolefin. TPO is also a single-ply material with a stronger seam and low cost. However, it’s not as flexible as some materials and has a shorter lifespan of 15 to 20 years.
- Spray foam. We can apply this material in thicker layers for better durability. Your spray foam roofing can last 50 years or longer with regular maintenance and recoatings.
- PVC. The installation of PVC can cost more, but the white vinyl membrane reflects UV rays for better energy efficiency. PVC has an average lifespan of 20 years.
Whatever you want out of your commercial or flat roof, we can help you make the right choice. Get started with an estimate when you call us today!
Get More Out of Your Roof
Having a qualified roofing contractor in Lupton City, TN take care of your replacement is the first step to effective protection for your home or business. The installation process can lay the foundation of your roof and improve the lifespan.
When you hire our experts at VLR Homes, LLC, we’ll start by inspecting your roof for any issues. With our experience, we know what to look for to identify and diagnose water damage or anything that might need roof repair or replacement.
We recommend an annual inspection to keep your roof effective and prevent major expenses. Extreme temperatures and harsh weather can cause serious problems for your residential or commercial roof. If you need to schedule a drone inspection, give us a call now!
Time for a Roofing Contractor in Dayton, TN
When you schedule regular maintenance and make the right choices, your roof can last longer. However, different factors can damage your roof and leave you needing a new roof. Pay attention to your roof for common signs of damages, like:
- Leaks and moisture damage
- Pest infestations
- The exterior or roof has visible damages
- Discoloration of the walls or ceiling
- Missing or damaged roofing materials
Your roof might not show any signs of needing replaced, but the materials have a lifespan. If you’ve had the same roof for a long time, a roof replacement could improve your protection or offer different climate resistances.
The integrity of your roof can weaken when the lifespan starts to wear out. In some cases, you could save with a new roof. Routine inspections will let our experts catch issues early and prevent costly emergencies. If you’re considering remodeling your home or increasing the protection of your business, call VLR Homes, LLC today!
- HQ: Soddy-Daisy, TN
- Bakewell, TN
- Dayton, TN
- Graysville, TN
- Harrison, TN
- Hixson, TN
- Lupton City, TN
- Ooltewah, TN
- Red Bank, TN
- Sale Creek, TN
- Signal Mountain, TN
- Walden, TN
About VLR Homes, LLC
Founded in 2019 by Francisco Romero, VLR Homes is dedicated to providing the area with roofing and remodeling services of the highest standard. Find out how this family-owned and operated company can put over a decade of general contracting experience to work for you!
VLR Homes, LLC
We have engaged Francisco and VLR Homes 3 times now. From painting the house, remodeling a master bath and constructing a screened in porch area they have responded with quality work at a fair price. When things came up like they always do, VLR had a solution (some panels of 50 year old siding replaced with Tyvek and up to code replacement). Again, at a fair price and done right the first time. Francisco is responsive with the good and the bad news straight up and always with a plan. We intend to use VLR in the future for projects large or small.
-Paul N. in Hixson, TN