What to Expect from a Roof Replacement?
You’ve found Tennessee’s top rated roofing contractor! We don’t leave the job until you’re 100% satisfied!
Getting a Roof Replaced? Here's What You Should Expect...
What Can You Expect From a Roof Replacement?
Being on the frontlines of bad weather and hail impacts, your roof can go through a lot of damage over the years. Because of that, every homeowner will eventually face the need to replace their roof. When the time comes, it might help to know what to expect from the process.
While the steps of a roof replacement are basically the same no matter what type of roof you have, it all starts with a professional roofing contractor. When you need a new roof, you’ve come to the right place with VLR Homes, LLC. Keep reading to learn how to prepare for roof replacement in Dayton, TN or give us a call today!
Advice to Prepare for Roof Replacement
Just because you’re hiring a roofing contractor in Bakewell, TN, there are still several things you can do for an efficient process. The more prepared your property is, the faster and easier your new roof can be done. Here are 4 ways you can get your home ready:
- Move or relocate outdoor items. Before we get out there for your roof replacement, anything that could be damaged should be moved or brought inside your garage. This could be patio furniture, potted plants, grills, and lawnmowers. Anything on your roof, like a solar panel or antenna, should be taken down temporarily.
- Protect the inside and outside of your home. If you need a new roof because of extreme roof repair, you should cover any bedding, furniture, and clothing that could be damaged by falling debris. There’s a chance that nails and other materials could go through any holes. In your attic, it’s recommended to place a tarp or other cover over important items.
- Keep your pets and children out of harm’s way. Our team is always careful and we’ll do our best to prevent falling debris, but it does happen. Because of that, any roof installation can be dangerous for pets and kids. To keep your pets safe, we recommend bringing them into the quietest room in your home. For children, let them know where they can play in the house and why they’re not allowed outside.
- Move your vehicles out of the driveway. When you need your roof worked on, palettes of materials and a dumpster will need to fit in your driveway. To make sure that we have space and your vehicles are clear of any potential damage, it’s important to bring them into your garage or park them by the curb.
Between hammers, drills, and contractors on the roof, it can be noisy and disruptive. While a roof replacement won’t usually require you to move out, it can make working from home difficult. If that’s the case, you might consider a guest room with a family member or neighbor.
Roofing contractors generally work during office hours, though, so you should otherwise be free of any disruption to your daily life. If your roof is damaged beyond repair or you want to upgrade your materials, call VLR Homes, LLC today for an estimate!
Steps for Roof Replacement in Graysville, TN
We want to make sure you feel prepared for your new roof. You’ve already come to the right place by choosing our experts at VLR Homes, LLC, so now it’s time to know what you can expect. Regardless of whether your roof is made of metal, slate, or shingles, the following eight steps are involved in the replacement process:
- Safeguarding your property. The first step of any roof replacement is to do what we can to keep your property safe. We’ll lay down tarps and plywood to protect your siding, walls, and landscaping below.
- Taking off the previous roofing. Once we’ve made sure that your plants and siding is secure, our team will remove old materials from your roof. This will allow our professionals to give the underlayment and decking a thorough inspection.
- Time for an inspection. During our inspection of your deck and roof, we’ll check for any signs of water damage or leaks. Moisture damage can rot through your wood or make it soft. If we find any wood that fits that description, we’ll replace it to give your roof replacement a solid foundation. We’ll also make sure that your wood sheeting is attached properly by replacing or re-nailing your decking to prevent future issues.
- Getting the surface of your roof ready. Once the decking has been inspected and any issues are fixed, we’ll install a drip edge along the roof edges. This isn’t to be confused with gutters, but a drip edge keeps rain from going under your roofing materials.
- Install a water and ice shield. Underlayment can take many forms, with an ice and water shield being unique. This prevents leaks and keeps ice from penetrating your roofing. Our experts will also lay down roof felt to help the shingles hold better.
- New materials are installed. Now that previous materials are stripped and your roof is prepared, we’ll start to install your new roofing. Materials are installed by starting at the bottom of your roof and going up. As we go, we’ll also take care of any counter flashing, ridge vents, or ridge caps that need to be installed for a secure roof.
- Cleanup of the site. Our team will clean the job site every day, because we want your property to be cleaner than when we got there.
- One last check. At VLR Homes, LLC, we pride ourselves on our work ethic. After we’re done with your roof replacement, we’ll perform a final inspection of your property. This gives our experts a chance to look over the installation and make sure everything meets your satisfaction. We’ll also look for anything that fell through the tarp to keep your yard clear of debris.
While each situation can be different and we treat every customer with care, those are the main steps to every roof replacement. When you’re ready to get started, don’t hesitate to call us today!
What Else to Know for Roof Replacement
Now you know what to expect during your new roof installation, but there’s no such thing as being too prepared. Between roofing terminology and different methods, it might help to know more about the steps and jargon that might be used. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Tarping. This is one of the first things we’ll do when we arrive at your property. The reason tarps are laid down is to keep parts of your yard and home secure during our roofing process. To make sure that the siding, plants, and windows are safe, contractors might have to go inside your house, but it’s to protect your property. If bad weather shows up, we’ll also use tarps to protect the roofing materials.
- Gutters. VLR Homes, LLC has a lot of experience as a gutter contractor in Lupton City, TN. We know to look at your gutters for any dents or separations during our inspection. We’ll also check if the water is constantly overflowing, because these issues could need new gutters installed. If you don’t have gutters, we can install diverters behind the chimney to improve runoff and prevent flooding on your roof.
- Proper ventilation. The type and number of vents your roof needs is dependent on the size and design of your property. Over time, your vents can become damaged, rotted, or rusted. Our team will diagnose your vents to see if they need to be replaced. We’ll also remove any insulation that’s in your soffit vent openings and inspect your attic for intake and exhaust vents.
- Shingles. The most common roofing material is asphalt shingles. If you choose to go with that trend, we’ll use roofing shovels or garden forks to pry off old materials, nails, and ridge caps. Starter shingles go on first to give our team a guide and prevent the butted shingle bond from being wasted on the underlayment.
- Flashing. This is the metal seal around exterior features, like chimneys or skylights, and in valleys. Before we get to work on your new roof, we’ll pull up old flashing to look for any leaks.
- Tar paper. Any loose sheathing under your materials is replaced and, once we’ve inspected your decking, tar paper underlayment is installed above the sheathing for extra protection from leaks.
- Drip edge. Having a drip edge installed along the edges, or eaves, of your roof will keep water from rotting or damaging your materials.
- Alignment. Our experts will use lines on your roof to make sure the installment of materials is perfect.
We want you to feel secure with your roof replacement, and the best way to do that is to build trust. We’ve got a team of roofing experts at VLR Homes, LLC that know all about what’s needed for proper roofing.
You can count on us to replace any vents or pipes that need it, as well as flashing and caulk to seal out the rain. Our flashing is aluminum or copper for lightweight, but effective, protection. By using the steps above to prepare your home for a roof replacement, you can help the process go faster and more efficiently.
Not only can that reduce the labor and maintenance needed to complete the process, but you can help us protect your property. After your roof is completed, you can also consider us for help with any remodeling you need done, so call us today!
- HQ: Soddy-Daisy, TN
- Bakewell, TN
- Dayton, TN
- Graysville, TN
- Harrison, TN
- Hixson, TN
- Lupton City, TN
- Ooltewah, TN
- Red Bank, TN
- Sale Creek, TN
- Signal Mountain, TN
- Walden, TN
About VLR Homes, LLC
Founded in 2019 by Francisco Romero, VLR Homes is dedicated to providing the area with roofing and remodeling services of the highest standard. Find out how this family-owned and operated company can put over a decade of general contracting experience to work for you!
VLR Homes, LLC
We have engaged Francisco and VLR Homes 3 times now. From painting the house, remodeling a master bath and constructing a screened in porch area they have responded with quality work at a fair price. When things came up like they always do, VLR had a solution (some panels of 50 year old siding replaced with Tyvek and up to code replacement). Again, at a fair price and done right the first time. Francisco is responsive with the good and the bad news straight up and always with a plan. We intend to use VLR in the future for projects large or small.
-Paul N. in Hixson, TN